Thursday, April 4, 2013

WVU: Pat White

I have been following the latest Pat White buzz closely for two reasons: 1) With respect to Major Harris, Pat White is considered by some to be the best football player to play in Morgantown, and 2) He is a former Miami Dolphin.  Combine these two reasons with an email that I received from my wife stating she engaged in a WVU football conversation with a client this morning that said he thought Miami gave Pat White a raw deal, gave me a formula for my next blog post.

First let me say that I am excited for Pat White.  Not too many players get a second chance so it is going to be interesting to see him play IF he makes the Redskins' 53-man roster.  Washington now has four QBs under contract and it is doubtful all four will remain in September.  White produced Combine results similar to Russell Wilson (SEA), but weighed 13 pounds less and was an inch taller than Wilson going into their rookie years respectively.  I know that doesn't sound like much, but I think player "thickness" (insert shrewd comment here) is huge in the NFL. I associate it with a player's ability to absorb and recover from the physical damages caused by playing the game.  White showed his ability or lack thereof when he took an aggressive "hit" from Ike Taylor (PIT) in 2009.  Also, he played in 13 games for the Dolphins in 2009 but did not complete any of his five passes.  My questions are; was he ready to play in the NFL?  What is different this time around??  Well, according to sources, White has bulked up and I am a true believer in hard work pays off.  White is facing long odds but I will be rooting for him 100% during training camp!

The other hot topic surrounding Pat White is his involvement in a concussion lawsuit against the NFL.  I must be honest and say this makes me question his character a bit.  Twice in 2012, White sued the NFL in federal court.  The first lawsuit claimed NFL approved equipment didn't protect him from head injuries.  He claimed multiple traumatic brain injuries (TBI), resulting in chronic headaches, mood swings, speech issues, memory loss, depressions, and sleeplessness.  White's second lawsuit accused the NFL of fraud and negligence.  He claimed the NFL concealed the long-term consequences of head injuries.  All this disappeared when the possibility of an NFL contract materialized this week. According to federal court records, White dismissed the first lawsuit on Tuesday and the second lawsuit on Wednesday. Weird.  Was he miraculously healed or were his injuries not quite as bad as he claimed??  Either way, the plaintiff’s case is weakened and the NFL's defense got stronger in the concussion lawsuit.  Ultimately the players that are actively suffering from TBI may not get the help they need as a result.

Sh

No comments:

Post a Comment